About the Program
Please review our UB Arts Management Student Handbook.
The Arts Management Program offers a dynamic two year course of study comprising core courses in the subject as well as additional courses tailored to students’ individual interests.
A 39 credit hour two year full time course, all students will take subjects such as: Arts Management and Society, which investigates the relationship between the Arts and Society over time; Why Manage the Arts? which has as its point of departure the very question which we all must address as arts managers; Arts and Cultural Policy and Diplomacy which provides an international understanding of the role of policy and diplomacy in arts and cultural institutions and their relationship to the state. Fieldwork in Arts Management is also part of the course of study where students work with arts organizations on a semester long project in the field. Students will also undertake specially designed Management and Law courses which provide them with the skills and insights needed to become effective arts managers.
All of the above are core courses but we also offer electives which students may select from in areas such as Issues In Museum Management, International Issues in Theatre Management, Music Management and may choose an elective from across the University in order to augment their specialist interest or join us on our International Summer Program which is held annually in the summer semester.
All students will be prepared in their third semester of study with Research in Arts Management which is designed to assist students in their final thesis or project and covers central questions and methodologies within the discipline.
See below for an outline of our course listings in the Arts Management Program:
Arts Management Core Courses
- AAP 501 : Why Manage the Arts?
- AAP 502 : Arts Management and Society
- AAP 508 : Arts & Cultural Policy and Diplomacy
- AAP 509 : Research in Arts Management
- AAP 511 : Fieldwork in Arts Management
- AAP 512 : Final Project Guidance
- AAP 513 : Final Thesis Guidance
Management Core Courses
Law Core Courses
- Students will elect 6 credit hours of law courses reflecting the legal aspects of Arts Management, with approval of the Director.
- AAP585 : Selected Legal Problems in Arts Management
- AAP587 : Art, Museums, Cultural Heritage and the Law
- AAP 510 : Issues in Music Management
- AAP 514 : International Issues in Theatre Management
- AAP 518 : Issues In Museum Management
Students to take AAP 507 plus one course to be approved by the Director, or two elective courses to be approved by the Director, from the College of Arts and Sciences, School of Management, School of Law, or School of Architecture
Total Concentration Credit Hours 39*
Fees and Tuition
The University at Buffalo offers competitive tution rates. Please click here for tuition and fee costs at the University. In addition, the UB Arts Management Program has a Program fee of $500 for all incoming students in the Program.